Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Tasty Tuesday: Northern Michigan Favorites
I always look forward to the month of August to spend a week relaxing with family in Glen Arbor. We've created countless memories and traditions that have kept us coming back year after year for all things cherry, breathtaking sunsets and sand beneath our toes on Sleeping Bear Dunes. Below are a few things of my favorite things I couldn't keep my hands off of while traveling around northern Michigan.
1. Cherry Republic is an essential stop for lunch, a quick snack from the bakery or some wine tasting. During the week we couldn't get enough Coconut Boomchunkas or Cherry Ginger Ale.
2. Northern Michigan is known for their amazing 40+ vineyards and I think it's safe to say we've now visited each one. My absolute favorites (in no particular order) are Shady Lane Cellars, Boathouse Vineyards, Black Star Farms, Leelanau Cellars, and L. Mawby.
3. Every summer vacation must include ice cream right? We love walking to the Pine Cone for a little treat and during this trip we were all swooning over Ashby's Eskimo Kisses. It doesn't get much better than coconut ice cream with chocolate truffles and fudge.
4. While driving around to a few vineyards we happened to find a stand on the side of the road selling local honey. I can't wait to serve this Bingham Bee's clover honey with an artisan cheese plate.
5. The Trader Joe's Toasted Coconut Cookie Thins are my latest obsession. Put these together to make s'mores and you won't remember what a graham cracker is.
6. We took a little drive to Northport and stumbled on a farm stand selling White Chocolate Popcorn. Since it was featured in Martha Stewart Living we couldn't say no.
7. If you're boating on Torch Lake Dockside restaurant is the place to be.
8. I wish every Monday morning could include skipping stones in Lake Michigan with champagne in party cups.
9. The best part about vacation is spending time doing something out of the ordinary. Starting the day with a coffee by the lake was a highlight.